Hi ,
Over the last couple of weeks I’ve been talking about the power of sound and music to heal and transform our lives.
Since most of you know that I’m a bonafide “sound geek” and have always loved so many different kinds of music, it shouldn’t come as a surprise when I say I feel a real affinity for this topic. And it’s kind of incredible that I’ve gotten to indulge this passion for sound healing via my career for over three decades.
But you also know that I love a good quotation!
So this time I thought we’d have a little fun by reading a few of my favorite sayings about the power of sound and music.
And I’ll begin with this one from Plato, who said:
“Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything.”
Wow! I wonder what kind of music Plato listened to!
There’s this one from the late actor and comedian Robin Williams I just love:
“You know what music is? It’s God’s little reminder that there’s something besides us in this universe; harmonic connection between all living beings, everywhere, even the stars.”
Elton John, who certainly knows a little something about music, said:
“Music has healing power. It has the ability to take people out of themselves for a few hours.”
That, to me, speaks to the transformative power of music.
The iconic neuroscientist Oliver Sacks had a lifelong passion for music, partly because he understood its therapeutic value. He said this:
“The power of music to integrate and cure is quite fundamental. It is the profoundest non-chemical medication.”
The ever-quotable Confucius said:
“Music produces a kind of pleasure that human nature cannot do without.”
Can you imagine a world without music? I don’t even want to try!
Social entrepreneur and talented soprano Tania De Jong said:
“When we sing together in harmony, our hearts start beating together.”
There’s actually science to back this idea up! Studies in 2011 and 2013 showed that heartrates and respiration of people singing together fell into lockstep and synchronized much more so than when at rest.
And lastly, the famous Russian composer Igor Stravinsky said something you might not expect to hear from one of the most influential composers of the 20th century:
“I haven’t understood a bar of music in my life, but I have felt it.”
And “feeling” music is really just as important as hearing it. Hearing is not just a thing your ears do. It’s a somatic experience. It affects your body, your cells, your brain. It shifts your neurochemistry and hormones. It is sensed in your bones and tissues.
And that’s why music can be so healing, in a very literal way. And it’s why I wanted to send one more quick reminder about our Sound Healing for the Soul video collection we just released.
This is a collaboration between NYT best-selling author and founder of Your Year of Miracles, Marci Shimoff and Centerpointe. Marci is one of my favorite people on the planet and she’s recorded a series of seven profound videos, each featuring an incredible sound healing artist. We’re talking top-shelf talent when it comes to healing, calming, soothing, and uplifting music.
I’m not going to dive into the details in this letter, but even if you don’t know much about sound healing, I hope you’ll take a moment to watch the video. We’re talking about a way to experience the power of music and sound in the comfort of your own couch. It really is an easy, but oh-so-powerful way to incorporate sound healing into your routine!
Learn about Sound Healing for the Soul.
And before I go, I want to invite you to share your favorite music quotation with me. Send me an email and I’ll add them to my collection!
Until next time, this is me, Just Checking In!
Ni komentarjev:
Objavite komentar