Hi ,
In 30 years of coaching, there’s been one emotional wound I’ve encountered that cuts deeper than the rest.
Shame.
A client once told me something about shame that’s stuck with me.
He said shame is like looking at yourself in a badly cracked mirror.
It's still you. But it's a fractured reflection of who you actually are. And the worst part is, most of us have been staring into that cracked mirror for so long, we've forgotten there was ever a whole one.
Last week I talked about the Four Core Wounds - challenges that are nearly universal in their scope. Shame’s the first one, so I wanted to spend a little time this week talking about it.
Here's the first thing worth knowing. Shame is not the same as guilt, even though we use the words interchangeably. Guilt says, "I did something bad." Shame says, "I am bad." Guilt has an object. It's about an action, and actions can usually be fixed or mitigated.
Shame is about the self. And that's exactly why it feels so much harder to shake. There's nothing specific to repair. The problem, shame insists, is you.
Listen to how shame actually talks. It doesn't hold back.
"You always mess this up."
"You'll never be good enough."
"Everyone can see it."
It speaks in absolutes, and it speaks to you rather than as you, like an internal judge who decided you were guilty before the trial even started.
Here's something that might surprise you. Shame isn't just a feeling. It shows up in the brain the same way physical pain does. The same regions light up. Which means when someone says shame "hurts," they're not exaggerating. In a very real sense, shame is painful.
And shame is sneaky about who it targets. The people carrying the most of it are often the ones who look the most put together. High achievers. Perfectionists. People who seem, from the outside, like they have it all figured out. Shame drives performance as often as it drives collapse, which is part of why it hides so well.
For years, I thought the antidote to shame was confidence. Just buck up! Remind yourself how capable you are. But that's a surface fix. It doesn't touch the actual wound.
The real antidote is worthiness.
Not the sense that you've earned your place through what you've accomplished, but the felt knowledge that you are inherently valuable, simply because you exist. Shame says you're flawed. Worthiness says you're human, and human is enough.
But what’s worthiness really feel like?
If you've ever had someone in your life who really knows you, all of you, and they still choose to stay, you know what it feels like. Shame cannot live under those conditions. It needs the dark and the isolation to survive.
So if you've been standing in front of that cracked mirror for a while, I want you to know something. The crack isn't in you. It's in the mirror. And there are ways, real ones, to finally put it down.
One of the most effective ways to heal shame is by meditating. And as you know, Centerpointe’s in the business of not just making the benefits of meditation easy, but also quick and powerful.
We just released our newest Holosync-powered collection of audio meditation tracks designed specifically to heal shame (plus three other core wounds I’ll talk about in the weeks ahead). It’s called The Four Wounds, and it’s like sonic medicine for the soul!
You can check it out right here.
And before I go, I want to ask - have you experienced shame in your life? So many of us have. How have you coped with that? What’s helped?
If you feel comfortable, reply to this email with your experience. I’d love to read about it.
Until next time, this is me, Just Checking In!
Ni komentarjev:
Objavite komentar