I want to tell you about one of the ten contenders named by the National Book Foundation to win the National Book Award in Nonfiction next week.
It's called A Dead White: An Argument Against White Paint, by a Wendy S. Walters, a professor at Columbia University (the worth of the Ph.D. I earned there continues to take a beating).
The book began as the fruit of the author's exploration of her own extreme dislike for white paint: "As I tried to understand why my response to white paint was so strong, I discovered numerous examples of the way that it figured into systems of erasure, exclusion, violence, and the masking of power in the social and natural world."
You will not be surprised to learn that the examples she found "linked white paint to racism."
She says, "I hope to encourage the reader to think about how practices of decoration and adornment might allude to hidden narratives of power, whether or not they recognize them as being so."
Now Woods, you say, you've just urged me not to read what is obviously a deeply important and not at all frivolous and woke book about white paint. Whatever shall I read instead?
Well, I'm sending the next issue of my print newsletter, the Tom Woods Elite Letter, to the printer tomorrow, so if you hop on board in the next 24 hours you can read that instead.
Among other things, the old man covers:
-- What Mr. Libertarian said about immigration the year before he died
-- Libertarians aren't "atomized individualists" -- or are they?
-- How to win any argument about the Federal Reserve
-- Do libertarians care if cultures are destroyed? -- The most woke city I've ever visited -- and someone recognized me there
-- The New York Times on "the downside of diversity"
-- My invitation to you to race me in an America's Cup boat
-- The Woods Guide to London -- The most amazing chart since Covid, and it tells the story of the past two years
-- The 12 things the private sector beats the state at that the state is supposed to win
-- How the Fed dominates the economics profession: a statistic that will legit shock you
Oh, and subscribers also get an invitation to the notorious Woods Christmas party, taking place this year on December 5 -- fantastic meal, enjoyable activities, and great people. (And if you'd like to attend my murder mystery dinner party in San Diego on January 12, that is ANOTHER free bonus when subscribing.)
The one downside of all this: you won't learn anything about how white paint contributes to white supremacy.
If you can live with that, then click to get this issue before she goes to the printer at the end of tomorrow:
Ni komentarjev:
Objavite komentar